XXXIX ORDINARY ASSEMBLY
ITALIAN FEDERATION OF CLUBS AND CENTRES FOR UNESCO
“1947-2017: 70 years of Clubs for UNESCO”
ACIREALE, 7-9 April 2017
“…..since wars begin in the minds of men,
it is in the minds of men that the defences of peace must be constructed”
(from the Preamble of the Constitution of UNESCO,1945)
From the 7th to the 9th of April 2017, the XXXIX National Assembly of the FICLU entitled "1947-2017: Seventy Years of Clubs for UNESCO", took place at the San Biagio Resort, in Acireale, Sicily. The Assembly received the Patronages of: UNESCO, Italian National Commission for UNESCO, ICCROM, Senate of the Italian Republic, Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, Italian Ministry of Education, Sicilian Region, City of Acireale. More than 160 representatives coming from 67 Clubs and Centres from all over Italy participated with enthusiasm and in a spirit of cooperation.
On April 7, the International Conference "1947-2017: 70 years of Clubs for UNESCO" took place, accompanied by an Exposition presenting the 40 years of the Italian, European and World Federation in close relationship with UNESCO Directors-General. All participants received, for information and knowledge, the synthesis in Italian of the UNESCO publication "Paths of light" by Anne Willings-Grinda. This volume is being entirely translated into Italian. Afterwards, the Mayor of Acireale, Roberto Barbagallo, received in a meeting at the Town Hall, the Executive Board of the Italian Federation and the foreign guests. During this meeting, mutual cooperation efforts were reaffirmed at national and international level.
In the early afternoon the conference started. The welcoming addresses were given by:
• Nellina Ardizzone, President of the Club for UNESCO in Acireale.
• Maria Paola Azzario, President of FICLU.
• Domenico Fichera, Deputy Chief Cabinet of the Prefect of Catania.
• Giuseppe Gualtieri, Commissioner of Catania.
• Nicola D’Agostino, Representative of the Sicilian Region.
• Rosa Maria Di Giorgi, Vice President of the Senate of the Italian Republic (video message, see the transcription in English, Attachment 1)
• Ilaria Borletti Buitoni, Undersecretary at the Italian Ministry of Heritage, Culture and Tourism (video message, see the transcription in English, Attachment 2)
Afterwards, the First Session, focused on the 70th Anniversary of UNESCO Clubs, started, with the interventions of:
• Eric Falt, Assistant Director-General of UNESCO for External Relations and Public Information.
• Noboru Noguchi, Director-General National Federation of UNESCO Associations in Japan.
• Dhirendra Bhatnagar, President World Federation of UNESCO Clubs, Centres and Associations (WFUCA).
• Du Yue, Secretary-General World Fede-ration of UNESCO Clubs, Centres and Associations (WFUCA). Message.
• Daniela Popescu, President European Federation of UNESCO Clubs, Centres and Associations (EFUCA).
(see Attachments 3-4-5-6-7 with texts of the interventions)
After a brief pause, the Second Session, which discussed the present and future collaborations between Clubs for UNESCO and National Institutions, took place with the interventions of:
• Katriina Similä, Project Manager of ICCROM (International Centre for the Study of the Preservation and Restoration of Cultural Property)
• Filippo Miroddi, Vice President Associazione Beni Italiani Patrimonio Mondiale UNESCO (Association Italian UNESCO World Heritage Sites)
The activities were thus concluded for the day.
On the morning of April the 8th, the participants received the addresses of Monsignor Antonino Raspanti, bishop of Acireale, and Valentina Palermo, the representative of the Youth Committee of Sicily.
Then, at 11 o'clock began the FICLU Ordinary Assembly, which led to the approval of the reports of the President and the Secretary and of the Final Budget 2016 and the 2017 Forecast Budget.
In the afternoon, 4 working groups were held on the following themes:
• Human Rights
• Tangible and Intangible Cultural World Heritage
• The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development
• UNESCO International Decade for the Rapprochement of Cultures to allow Clubs and Centres for UNESCO to report on the actions carried out and the initiatives planned in 2017.
At the end of the day, the Declaration of Acireale (see Attachment 8) was unanimously approved by the Assembly and it will represent the official Document of the Italian Federation on the occasion of the world event of celebration of the 70 years of Clubs and Centres for UNESCO, organized by the Japanese and the World Federation, in Tokio on July 2017. The document reaffirms the commitment of the FICLU, in synergy with national and international institutions, in contributing, with concrete activities, to the achievement of the objectives identified by the UNESCO Action Plan and by The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
Finally, the FICLU is pleased to receive, as honorary members: Irina Bokova, UNESCO Director-General, Eric Falt, UNESCO Deputy Director General for Public Information and External Relations, Rosa Maria Di Giorgi, Vice President of the Italian Senate, Ilaria Borletti Buitoni, Undersecretary MIBACT, Dhirendra Bhatnagar, President of the World Federation of UNESCO Centres and Associations, Daniela Popescu, President of the European Federation of UNESCO Clubs, Centres and Associations, Noboru Noguchi, Director General of the Japanese Federation, Du Yue, Secretary General of WFUCA.
Each of you is fundamental to the work that we carry on together on a daily basis!
All events of EFUCA