Promoted by “Italian Federation of Clubs and Centres for UNESCO” project elaborated by Club for UNESCO “Carrara dei Marmi”
· With the intention of taking part to celebrations for the 70th anniversary of UNESCO Clubs and to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Club for UNESCO in Carrara;
· To promote the knowledge of our common heritage, developing all forms of co-operation in a spirit of solidarity and responsibility concerning future generations;
· To stimulate young people's creativity, offering them the opportunity to work in a ground where marble is extracted since Roman times, in direct contact with the most well-known artists, who make their experiences available;
· To promote knowledge and tradition of an art form that young people can vitalize through their sensibility and their different cultures;
· Considering that art is the ideal means for bringing people of different cultures together, that it has unlimited training possibilities and it is also a dynamic and effective factor for a culture of peace;
· Considering the thousand-year tradition of Carrara quarries, which is, doubtless, the historic home of sculpture (actually there are not only roman quarries, that have provided and still provide for marble all over the world world, but also a sculptural tradition whose father is Michelangelo Buonarroti). Considering also the spread of the extraordinary quality of Carrara sculpture Studies, which are attended by the most renowned artists, the presence of Fine Arts Academy founded in 1757 and the unique marble School in the world, Biennals of sculpture, Simposi and marble week editions were performed in Carrara from 1957 onwards, with the aim to offer to young people the opportunity to make a gratifying and educational experience at all levels: human, cultural, social;
· To testify a historical memory that identifies Carrara not as an art city, but as an “art workshop”, since the artworks that adorn cities all over the world have been made here;
· The Club for UNESCO “Carrara dei Marmi” promotes the realization of the present project as an important moment for the artistic, cultural and human young people's training, for the development of creative skills and the education to a culture of peace.
REGULATIONS and PARTICIPATION TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The Club for UNESCO “Carrara dei Marmi” organizes, in collaboration with the Fine Arts Academy in Carrara, the Competition International Forum of young marble sculptors in Carrara entitled “Art voices: peace, fraternity, solidarity” which is addressed to young sculptors and public or legally recognized Fine Arts Academies' students (sculptor section) from all over the world, aged between 18 and 35 years old at the application submission.
The objectives are to give a concrete contribution to the construction of an universal language of art for the education to a culture of peace and to offer to young sculptors the opportunity to live a period of study and an authentic experience during which they can express their own creativity in an international competition aimed at spreading UNESCO values and principles.
Actually, in this historical moment, young people the need to find a creative space, whatever it is, to show their own personality in the world of art. For this reason the Club for UNESCO in Carrara intends, through this Competition, to promote both young sculptors and the territory of Carrara, famous for its marble, as a Global Village which has always collaborated, with its own resources, to the research of solidarity in the wake of tradition of the territory, a place to be considered not only for the marble extraction, but as an “art workshop”.
Participation requirements: young sculptors ond public or legally recognized Academies' students from all over the world, (sculpture section), aged between 18 and 35 years old at the application submission.
The application form, presented in a simple paper, duly filled in with all general indications (personal data, address, e-mail address etc..), signature, curriculum vitae, a copy of a valid identity document, a letter of presentation, in two copies, by an art critic, curator or Academy teacher (sect. Sculpture or equivalent), on pain of exclusion.
Presenting a scale model and/or a paper drawing in format A2, together with an art project demonstrating adhesion and research coherency, the knowledge of traditional and contemporary sculptural languages and pertinence to the competition theme (paper or in electronic format) that must be realized in a block of marble sized 50x50x50 cm approximately. The scale model can be sized 20x20x20 cm indicatively and, in absence of the scale model, a paper drawing in format A2 can be submitted. Both must be accompanied by explanatory material of the project (short text associated with drawings, sketches, pictures, etc), on pain of exclusion.
The competitor, on pain of exclusion, must present a release form, on simple paper and signed, that allows the Club for UNESCO “Carrara dei Marmi” and the Italian Federation of Clubs and Centres for UNESCO, to publish competitor's name on newspapers, online and paper magazines, internet websites etc… and to publicly expose the scale models and/or drawings, accompanied by explicative material, so as using the submitted material for publications on internet websites, online and paper magazines. The scale model and the handwork made during the stage will remain finalists' exclusive property.
Deadline and terms: the deadline for application's submission is May 31st 2017 at 12.00 (it will count the postmark).
All applications must be sent to the Fine Arts Academy, at Prof. Piergiorgio Balocchi's School of Sculpture (Address: Padula, Via Provinciale di Gragnana, Carrara (MS).
The hand delivery of applications is allowed at the same address mentioned above, through an appointment to be agreed with prof. Francesca Taliani (tel nr. 3939128532 mail firstname.lastname@example.org), member of the Club for UNESCO “Carrara dei Marmi”, or by email to email@example.com . All submitted materials and handworks made by finalists can be collected by competitors, at their own charge, within seven days from the winner proclamation. If they are not collected, they will be kept as Club for UNESCO “Carrara dei Marmi” property.
Jury and selection procedure: The jury, composed by experts in field, institutional actors and headed by the President of FICLU, is responsible to examine and select scale models and drawings accompanied by projects, expressing an opinion about the quality of competitors' global artistic research in relation to the competition theme.
Jury's opinion is unchallengeable.
The Club for UNESCO “Carrara dei Marmi” will organize the exhibition of submitted scale models, drawings, etc. in June 2017 and, on that occasion, with the presence of the city authorities, the 5 finalists' names (three Italians, two foreigners) chosen for the stage will be selected and publicly announced by the qualified jury .
Afterwards, the 5 finalists' names will be published on the websites of the Italian Federation of Clubs and Centres for UNESCO (www.ficlu.com) and of the Fine Arts Academy in Carrara.
The proclamation of the only winner will take place with a public ceremony, with the presence of city authorities, on July 29th in the Great Hall of the Fine Arts Academy in Carrara.
Special non-cash awards will be provided to the winner and the 4 finalists:
Period of stage in the Artistic workshops of Sculpture in Carrara that will collaborate to this competition, and exhibition in a place to be agreed with the city administration.
Expected stage period: July 1-28 2017, for 5 days a week – timetable of Carrara Artistic Workshop of Sculpture that will join the Competition.
Sizes of the block of marble, made available to carry out the work, will be of 50x50x50 cm approximately. More inform pieces, always in a small size, could be provided under previous request.
Accommodation and meals of finalists will be borne by Club for UNESCO “Carrara dei Marmi” .
Travel expenses: at 5 finalists' charge.
Specific purpose of scholarships
Scholarships aim to develop and refine, in the five candidates, a greater knowledge of sculptural techniques through attending artistic workshop of Sculpture in Carrara which will give their availability also to follow, during the stage-study-work, the 5 finalists of the competition. Workshops will also have to guarantee the insurance.
Method of work: The 5 young finalists have the opportunity to attend Artistic workshops of Sculpture, to experience artisans' art and to have access to technologies which are necessary for marble processing. During the stage-study young sculptors will be supported by teachers of the Fine Arts Academy in Carrara and by artisans as regards the implementation of technical skills in the field of sculpture and a basic equipment for the processing will be provided, besides marble. The use of flexible is not allowed, it is permitted only after a careful discussion and evaluation from the Direction, while hammer, chisel etc will be allowed. There is not monetary compensation neither to the 4 finalists nor to the winner. An insurance during the stage- study- work is provided for all five competitors at the Artistic workshop of sculpture.
To the Directors of public or legally recognized Fine Arts Academies', in the national and international territory, please give full visibility to this Competition by posting on the notice board, also giving an appropriate announcement to students through all teachers of sculptural subjects.